Saturday, March 31, 2012

Friday at the Farm: iPad Girl


So about a week ago, Reid surprised me with a used iPad2 that he bought from someone on Craig's List.  I have always resisted Apple products, so this is my first i-anything, but I have to admit that I'm really loving it. And I'm proud of my techie husband for buying a used one, since I really don't care about having the latest and greatest thing.

As I was waiting at the Farm during Gwyneth's therapy appointments, I worked (played) on the iPad.  A mom who came in with her 6-year-old (who has Autism) began talking to me about all the great apps for kids.  I downloaded a few free apps and when Gwyn came out of PT, I showed her the apps.

Our girl is going to be an iPad girl!  She's been enthralled with the "Magic Piano" app and I love that the first song you can "play" by tapping the screen is her favorite "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." She has also been tickled by the "Seek & Find Picture Book" app - a game where you touch the screen to activate different scenes around a Zoo.  The monkeys make her giggle every time.  I want to buy the rest of the app that has Farm and Forest options for the game.  Both of these games will help her improve her fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and problem-solving skills.

What apps do you know about for kids, especially kids with special needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment