Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Montessori Monday: Granola Recipe

I haven't posted for a while because we are on Baby Watch for #3 to arrive any day and we have a Grandma visiting to help out. The other Grandma will arrive next week, so we will have a very fun house and busy household! But despite all the changes right now, I'm keeping up with homeschool days for Gwyneth.

Last week on Monday, I prepped a cooking project for the kids using a granola recipe. It had lots of things to add to a bowl and mix and then bake in the oven, so it was a simple and repetitive task for them. I measured everything out for each of them ahead of time and wrote up a "Granola Recipe Book" using short sentences like "Put the oats in the bowl" and "Stir and mix in the bowl." We followed the recipe directions in this book and I took pictures of everything. Afterwards I added the pictures to the book so Gwyneth can read it as one of her sight word books. 


The kids had a lot of fun being chefs and then enjoyed the granola on top of some yogurt. It was great to have Ryker alongside Gwyn. She really feeds off of his enthusiasm for projects like this.


2 comments:

  1. Baby watch!!!! Looks like fun. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to read your blog posts after #3 arrives. I can't believe how much of my dignity has gone out the window while trying to meet the needs of three very different ages. Adapting is quite an adventure, and seeing how you have done so with such grace with the first two, I think you'll be an example to me as I sort out the mess my plans have become lately! I hope all goes well with baby girl's arrival!

    ReplyDelete